The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education law has been improved as of 12/10/15.
No Barriers - Legal guide to remover barriers to education, updated 11/16 (National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty)
Understanding McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Rights
Homeless students have strong rights regarding their education. This section will attempt to present those rights in a way that will be helpful to homeless families and teens, educators, shelter staff, and persons concerned about access to education for the millions of kids without homes in this country.
This will be a work in progress, dependent on cyber-colleagues and their efforts. (New, improved law as of 12/10/15, will be implemented 7/1/16.)
- Definition of "homeless"
- The law that specifies homeless students' rights - The McKinney Vento Homeless Education Act
- Helpline for help getting a homeless student into school
- Resources and information about the law
- No Barriers report by the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty (updated 11/16)
- Watch the HEAR US (free) 11-minute film explaining homeless education law, REACH.
- Order My Own Four Walls DVD or other HEAR US materials to explain the law.
Thanks to the good folks at SERVE, National Center for Homeless Education!